Friday, December 2, 2011

#FlashFriday #Fictioneers "Leaving Little World"

I especially liked the photo prompt by Madison Woods this week, because it reminded me of a dream I had once. It came at a time when I was so afraid to make a decision, I compared it to jumping from a cliff. In my dream, I finally decided to jump, believing it was my only choice. At first, I fell, but only for a moment. Then, I grew wings. And flew.

The next day, I made the decision, and I've never regretted it.


Leaving Little World

Mama didn’t tell her to stay put this time. How long had she been gone, anyway? And her sister? Her brother?
She was hungry. Alone.
She stared into Big World. Bright sunshine. Big.
All she’d ever known was Little World. Cozy. Warm. But . . .
She was hungry.  Alone.
She stood on the perch, her heart pounding as loud as the clap of thunder from The Storm that almost destroyed Little World in the spring. There was only one thing to do, because . . .
She was hungry. Alone.
She jumped.
Flapping!
Falling!
Flapping!
Until . . . she flew.

16 comments:

  1. Oh Jan, that brought tears to my eyes. LOL, it doesn't help that this morning I already felt *poignant* but your story was perfect. I've been at a similar chasm and like you, so glad I leapt into the unknown with faith that I would fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Madison Woods - thank you. I have a feeling you know exactly the decision I'm talking about, just as I've felt the poignancy you spoke about in yours. But spring will come, and you will fly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jan,

    I loved your story and still have chills up and down my spine from the rightness of it. Just a perfect use of the prompt and a wonderful lesson for us all.

    Aloha,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun post! I love how your sentences mimicked bird's chirping!
    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Douglas MacIlroy - It's always a thrill to impact a reader like that, so thanks for making my day!

    @Susie Lindau - I hoped the reader would "get" what I tried to do. Glad you did.

    Now off to read your flashes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning,

    I really like the repetition, and agree with the above comment about how it mimicked chirping. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely charming - a tale for all ages actually. I bet it would make a wonderful little children's book appropriate illustrations. Almost like "the little train who couldn't"
    "The little bird who could" - only we have to keep the identity of the bird a secret....
    Lindaura

    ReplyDelete
  8. @cleveroldowl - An owl would certainly understand. Thanks for your comment. :)

    @Linda Palund - "The Little Engine" was a favorite of mine to read to my children. Thanks for the comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your characterization of a bird's first flight. Well done, Jan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad Clem & Lester didn't see the nest, but as usual, they were looking up the wrong tree.

    Well written, Jan. I always love stories about being scared of the unknown and taking a leap of faith. But the truth is, we never grow without suffering through some uncomfortable experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwww...I LOVE it. I'm a bit of a nature photographer and bird watcher, so this especially touched me. (I'm going to go read it again...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really beautiful! I loved the idea of Big World and Little World. The whole thing is just stunningly done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! And the pic is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tears burned my eye lids. Very nicely done, Gypsy Jan. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was really good, Jan. Development, lots going on and an ending trajectory, all in 100 words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I love your writing. That's all there is to it. Now, I'm curious about this parallel to your own life. I can guess but it would only be a guess...

    ReplyDelete