Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Flash Fiction

My friend, Madison Woods has a great flash fiction series going on her blog -- write a story in 100 words or less!

This week, I decided to give it a try. She usually posts a picture to use as a prompt, but this week used a mental image instead. Some of the stories that resulted are chilling, so that's also what I've attempted with mine.

I'll warn you - it's not my usual fare. In fact, it prompted my husband to ask, "Where did that come from?" I think I scared him. :)

At any rate, the photo I found will scare you:
INITIATION

     Is becoming a Delta Rat worth searching the morgue in the middle of the night? At least the other initiate, Todd, is here searching for clues too.
     The drawer’s icy handle nips my hand.
     A dead body!
     Next drawer. Whew! It’s empty. A note flutters in the cool draft.

     Lie on the slab. You’ll know when your time’s up.

     I lie down. Close my eyes. Wait.
     Footsteps!
     Todd whispers, “Time’s up.”
     I start to sit up, then . . .
     He slams it shut!
     I scream. “What the—”
     Cold. Pitch black.
     He taps the drawer. “Sorry. You lose.”

6 comments:

  1. Well now I'm all creeped out. You didn't even leave an address so I could come and let you out!

    I'm very new to flash fiction ... and I'm not sure I really "get" it yet, since I haven't read a ton, but I heard of one gal who created a challenge for herself to write 50-word complete stories for 50 days in a row. She wound up turning it into a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that is indeed thought provoking. I'll never look at you with the same eyes. Good job, though. My mind won't wrap around flash fiction. Maybe I just don't have the time it would take me to write it. Much harder than long stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting indeed. I'm with your hubby on this one. "Where did that come from?" But I really liked it. I think it's nice to step out of our comfort zones and stretch our creative muscles.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! I do like to "step outside of my comfort zone" occasionally. And, not much to risk with just 100 words. Brenda, the little bit I've attempted "horror," it's come from thinking about what scare ME most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Jan, very chilling! Often what I write is dark and I have no idea where it came from, either. Loved your flash piece :)

    ReplyDelete