Saturday, September 3, 2011

Confessions of a Hoarder


Something "inspired" me to clean out my closets today - all four of them. Not sure what it was, but it could have been Stephen's hint last night that pack rats drive him crazy. Maybe it was directed at me, maybe not. But apparently it hit close enough to home to motivate me to take on the goliath project for the first time in oh . . . eight years?

That's right. I probably haven't sorted through my "hanging memories" since Stephen and I married and I moved from my house in Tulsa. Even then, I'll admit I didn't get rid of what I should have. Instead, I hauled most of those "memories" with me to my married household.

Why is it so hard for me to get rid of old clothes? After all, most of what I've separated hasn't been worn for at least the last two years, some even longer. Shouldn't it be enough to know that someone else will make much better use of some still very-wearable items?

But even today, as I held up each hanger for consideration, I found myself thinking:

1) Oh, I'll fit into that again someday. (Yeah, right.)
2) I might need that suit when I become a famous author. (When it happens, I'll buy new suits!)
3) Maybe this will come back in style again sometime. (If it hasn't yet, it never will.)
4) All this needs is hemming. (It's only been waiting to be hemmed for five years now.)

And let's not talk about the shoes!

Anyway, what better time to clean out my closets than on Labor Day weekend, when everybody else is out on the lake, seeing a movie, traveling or eating out? None. Besides, it's only Saturday. Now that I have more room in my closets, there's still plenty of time to take advantage of the Labor Day Sales!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you. I have threatened to clean out my closet for the last four years.

    There's always tomorrow. That's what I love about procrastination. And if tomorrow never comes, that will be just one more unpleasant task I was able to avoid.

    ReplyDelete